‘Supporting individuals and families who are impacted by eating disorders’
One in four Australian people have a diagnosed eating disorder. Eating disorders are a very serious physical and mental health issue, with anorexia nervosa having the highest mortality rate of all psychiatric illnesses. One in ten individuals with anorexia have a fatal outcome. Evidence supports receiving treatment for an eating disorder as early as possible can limit and reduce the length of time required to recover.
About our Services
Hobart Counselling Centre provides assessment and treatment for all types of eating disorders and body image concerns for children, adolescents and adults. The Centre offers both individual psychotherapy and group therapy programs.
The Body Image and Eating Disorders service aims to support children, adolescents and adults to recover from eating disorders and supports individuals to develop a healthy and sustainable relationship with their body and with food. The Centre uses evidence-based interventions and recommended therapeutic methods to support individuals recovering from an eating disorder.
Our clinical team can assist with the following disorders:
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Other Specified Feeding and Eating Disorders (OSFED)
- Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (AFRID)
- Disordered Eating
Our team also provides services in the following areas:
- Body Image and Self-esteem
- Mindful Eating
- Body Dysmorphia
- Counselling for those pre or post Bariatric Surgery
- Restrictive Eating
- Food Preoccupation and phobias
- Other eating related difficulties
Parents and Families
- Understanding warning signs in children and adolescents
- Strategies to cope when a family member has an eating disorder
- Support in understanding the recovery process
- Counselling sessions for the family as a way of supporting the entire system
Hobart Counselling Centre Body Image and Eating Disorders service welcomes enquiries and referrals from parents, families and young people.
The service welcomes enquiries and referrals from Psychiatrists, General Practitioners, Allied Health Professionals and Community-based agencies.
The Centre’s clinical team are experienced working with eating disorders and are registered with their respective professional bodies. They undertake ongoing professional development in their areas of specialty.
For more information on Body Image and Eating Disorders see the following articles written by our clinical team:
- Eating Disorders
- Body Image and Mindful Eating
- Body Image and Mindful Eating Program
- Eating Disorders in Children
Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist
Accredited Gestalt Psychotherapist
Phone: (03) 6285 8592
Hobart Counselling Centre
181 Elizabeth Street Hobart TAS 7000